Driving on an EU License / Exchanging an EU License for a GB Driving License

You can drive in Great Britain on a full, valid driving licence from another EU country until you’re 70, or for 3 years after becoming resident in Great Britain, whichever is longer.

You don’t have to exchange your licence, but follow these steps if you want to:

  • Order form D1 from DVLA.
  • Send the form, the £50 fee and any documents you need to (including your driving licence) to the address on the form.
  • You should get your new licence within 3 weeks.

Please note: You can only drive in Great Britain for 12 months if you got your EU licence by exchanging your non-EU licence.

Why would you wish to exchange your driving license?

There are a few reasons that you may wish to exchange your driving license for a UK License.  These might be making getting an International Driving Permit simpler or even getting cheaper car insurance quotes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *