Category Archives: General Information


Surinder Singh Route Step by Step Guides

If you are looking for a Surinder Singh Route Step by Step then you have came to the right place.    The Surinder Singh Route Step by Step guides on this website are minimal information  guide.  These are what you would normally do to meet the requirements of the EU Route Visa.

So – In short – What’s the process?

Surinder Singh Route Step by Step
Simple Surinder Singh Route Step by Step Flowchart

Where do I Find these Step by Step Guides?

There are a number of Step by Step guides on this website.  There is a Step by Step guide for starting a self employed business in Ireland.  Additionally, the Republic of Ireland has it’s own Surinder Singh Step by Step guide. Detailing things from Applying for an entry visa to Registering for your GP.

The Surinder Singh Ireland Step by Step Guide

You can find the Surinder Singh Ireland Step by Step guide here: The Republic of Ireland.  Within the step by step guide there are links which direct you to more detailed information on the Surinder Singh process.

Surinder Singh Visa

What is a Surinder Singh Visa

A Surinder Singh Visa is the commonly used name referring to an EEA Family Permit.  The Surinder Singh Visa is the visa that you get when you are returning to the EU National’s home country. For example: returning to the UK with a British citizen.  Other EEA States use a different name for their own family reunification visas.

How do I get a Surinder Singh Visa?

In order to get a Surinder Singh Visa for your non-eu spouse, there are a few requirements to meet first.

You must live in an EEA member state other than your country of nationality.  This applies to both the EU citizen and the non-EU citizen.

The EU citizen should work.  This can be self employed, or employed.

Under the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 you also need to show that the EU Citizen has transferred his centre of life to the host member state.  Please note that the Case of O v Netherlands showed that the Centre of Life test is unlawful.

Once you have met the requirements, you will then be able to reside back in the EU citizen’s country of origin.  If this is the United Kingdom, the Surinder Singh Visa would be an EEA Family Permit.

I also highlight that O v Netherlands (c-456/12) extended those eligible for a Surinder Singh Visa to those who are self sufficient and students.  The UK have still failed to implement this though.

Could I be mistaking a Surinder Singh Visa for something else?

It is quite possible that when you originally searched for a Surinder Singh Visa, you were referring to a Join EU Spouse visa. For example: A visa to Ireland.  This will allow you to begin your journey back to your home member state (such as the UK).

Once you have got your visa to Ireland, you can learn more about the Surinder Singh Ireland route.

Surinder Singh Ireland

What is ‘Surinder Singh Ireland’?

Surinder Singh Ireland is the process of an EEA National moving to Ireland with their family member before moving back to their country of nationality.

Let me put Surinder Singh Ireland into the context of a British man with an Indonesian wife. If the British man cannot sponsor the Indonesian woman to the UK under the UK Immigration Rules, then they may well decide to Surinder Singh in Ireland. There may be many reasons that Surinder Singh in Ireland is decided upon. Such as lack of financials, negative immigration history, or simply that you don’t wish for your family to be divided. Family division is a common threat under the current UK Immigration Rules. This is due to the fact that the applicant’s sponsor is required to show that he earns over £18,600 by way of at least six pay slips.

Another reason for using Surinder Singh Ireland is that there is effectively a blanket ban on older relatives being sponsored by their children.

How Do I begin Surinder Singh Ireland Route?

I’ve compiled a detailed list, with specific processes for completing Surinder Singh Ireland.  You can access this on the Ireland Surinder Singh page.

So, as above, I will put the Surinder Singh Ireland Route into the context of a British Man with an Indonesian wife.

The Indonesian wife will need an entry visa to Ireland. This is known as a Join EU Spouse Visa. You apply for the Join EU Spouse visa via the Ireland AVATS system. You’ll be required to send some obligatory evidence. The Irish government may well request a lot of irrelevant information. It is your own decision as to whether to supply this additional information. Failure to supply the information MAY lead to a refusal which would need appealing.

Once you have the Join EU Spouse Visa, both the British man and Indonesian woman would be required to travel to Ireland. Surinder Singh Ireland requires that both the British and Indonesian citizens are resident together in Ireland.

OK, So I’m in Ireland – What next?

So. You’re now in Ireland for Surinder Singh Ireland. What next? The next step would obviously be that you need accommodation. You can find accommodation in a variety of places. From websites (such as to the local paper. Many people short accommodation before arriving for Surinder Singh Ireland. Some simply initially stay in an hotel and find accommodation once there. I personally found the latter to be more effective.
Once you are resident – and residency includes in a hotel – you can apply for a PPS number. It is also wise to know whether you intend to Work or be Self Employed.

With proof of address, and ID, you can then approach a bank for a bank account. If you’ve got your own house, it’s wise to ensure all bills are in your own names also.

Surinder Singh Ireland Residence Card

Once you’re working, and have a stable address it is at this point you’d apply for the residence card on Form EU1.

During the process of Surinder Singh Ireland, it is quite possible that the non EU will have no formal leave to remain stamped in their passport.  DO NOT WORRY. As long as the non-EU has applied for a residence card within three months, their residency is legal. Note: The EEA National also needs to be a qualified person.  A qualified person includes a self sufficient person, worker, and student.

Ireland will usually issue a temporary residence card (an GNIB Card) with a stamp (A Stamp 4) into the passport of the non-EEA national. This stamp will usually be for six months and will be used whilst the application is being processed.

Surinder Singh Ireland varies throughout Ireland. Different areas of Ireland have different immigration offices. Each immigration office appears to have it’s own processes. Some Immigration Offices allow you to turn up and get a six month stamp in your passport. Some don’t. Some require a long wait. whilst the card is sent off to INIS in Dublin.

So How long does Surinder Singh Ireland take?

There is no real fixed time limits on Surinder Singh Ireland. The only formal limit imposed was by the case of O v Netherlands (C-456/12). This case has stated that you must have Article 7 residence. Article 7 residence is residence exceeding three months. Therefore. Three months and a day is now considered the minimum.

OK, So I’ve done Surinder Singh Ireland Route

So. Once you’ve lived in Ireland and acquired Article 7 residence, then you should apply for an EEA Family Permit. The EEA Family Permit is otherwise known as a Surinder Singh Visa.

Where are popular Surinder Singh Ireland areas

Surinder Singh Ireland is popular in itself. However some areas are even more popular.

Surinder Singh Dublin is a popular area.  This is perhaps due to the transport links back to the UK. Surinder Singh Ireland encompasses Surinder Singh Raheny, Surinder Singh Mallahide, and many other local Dublin Surinder Singh areas.  Additionally Surinder Singh Cork, Surinder Singh Waterford, Surinder Singh Wexford are also very popular areas for Surinder Singh Ireland.

Calling For Contact from Singhers / Separated Families

Further to Don McVey’s short documentary (The Price of Love), which was released earlier in the month, Benjamin Cowles is currently looking to create a similar project.

Benjamin is a MA Journalism student. The MA is Journalism, War and International Human Rights. His film is still in the very early stages at the moment. It is going to focus on the UK Immigration Regulations for Britons with non-EEA partners and the Human Rights violations that these incur.

Benjamin states that he is a firm believer in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which the UK is a signatory. In which Article 16 states that men and women have the right to marry and found a family. The same sentiment is echoed in the European Convention of Human Rights and the Human Rights Act 1998.

The UK government claims to uphold human rights, yet – as many of us know – this is only when it suits them. The documentary is to focus on this right to marry people from beyond European borders. Another reason Benjamin want to cover this topic is that it also affects him…

I was shocked to learn that I couldn’t exercise the basic human right to live with her [my girlfriend] in the country I grew up in.

The film won’t only be focusing on the SS route [Surinder Singh Route], but also on the plight of other couples, especially LGBT [lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender] couples who have far more pressure to deal with.

If you’d like to be involved or if have any more questions you can contact Benjamin who will be more than interested to hear your story.

Benjamin can be emailed on cowlesz [at] hotmail [dot] co [dot] uk

Video: The Price of Love #PriceOfLoveDoc

Don McVey has created an outstanding short documentary, The Price of Love (, outlining the devastating effects the minimum income requirement is having on families: British men, women and children.

The documentary has been covered by The Independent ‘My children can’t sleep, crying for daddy:’ How spouse immigration rules affect British families.

Whilst Don’s short documentary begins to highlight Free Movement also. I’ve been approached by a gent who is looking at making another short film.

Please share this far and wide with all friends, family and colleagues #PriceOfLoveDoc

Can My Parents or My Spouses Parents Benefit From Surinder Singh?

As explained on Who Can Benefit From Surinder Singh The Surinder Singh Route is open to dependant parents of either the EU National or their spouse.  This fact is outlined clearly within  an official response from The Home Office on 29th November 2013 which you can find here: Surinder Singh Route for Parents.

The Home Office responded to the user’s Freedom of Information request with a generic response and treated the request as a general enquiry (as the user had not specifically requested the release of information, but instead requested clarification of Home Office policy).

For ease the actual response from The Home Office is below:

Dear Mr Syal,

Thank you for your email of 8 November to the Home Office Freedom of Information team seeking clarification of whether dependent parents can qualify for residence documentation under the Surinder Singh route.  Your email has been passed to this team to respond to, as we are responsible for policy guidance on European Economic Area (EEA) nationals and their family members.  I understand the Freedom of Information team has advised you that your query is being dealt with as a general policy enquiry, since you are seeking clarification of the policy rather than requesting the release of documents or recorded information held by the Home Office.

I can confirm that the Surinder Singh route applies to direct family members, as defined by regulation 7(1)(a)-(c) of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 (‘the EEA Regulations’), provided they meet the requirements set down in regulation 9 of the EEA Regulations.

Direct family members for these purposes are:

  • the spouse or civil partner of the British citizen, provided they lived with the British citizen in the EEA state in which the British citizen was exercising free movement rights;
  • direct descendants (children, grandchildren) of the British citizen, or of the British citizen’s spouse or civil partner, provided they are aged under 21 or dependent on the British citizen or the British citizen’s spouse/civil partner; and
  • dependent direct relatives in the ascending line (i.e. parents and grandparents) of the British citizen, or of the British citizen’s spouse or civil partner.

Therefore, a financially dependent parent of a British citizen can qualify under Surinder Singh/regulation 9, provided the British citizen was engaged in genuine and effective employment or self-employment in another EEA state before returning to the UK.

You can view the provisions of the EEA Regulations referred to above via the following link:

I hope this has clarified the position.

Kind regards,

European Operational Policy Team

Operational Policy & Rules Unit

Immigration & Border Policy Directorate

Home Office

Taking Vehicles Out of The UK – Temporary Export

Taking your vehicle abroad for less than 12 months (temporary export)

If you are taking your vehicle out of the country for less than 12 months you must make sure you take your registration document (V5) or certificate (V5C) with you. If you do not have one, you should apply to a DVLA local office on form V62, available from Post Office® branches, DVLA local office or download on the vehicle forms link below. The registration certificate may take up to 14 days to arrive. If you need to travel during this time you will need to apply for temporary registration certificate. You should apply well before your journey, as there could be delays of up to 14 days in issuing the certificate if you are not already recorded as the vehicle keeper. There is a fee for this service.

You should make sure that you meet any international and national conditions for licensing and taxation. Further information can be found in leaflet V526 Taking your vehicle out of the country.

More information on this can be found on the Government Website: Taking Vehicles out of the UK.

Sample Accounting for Self Employed Persons

Self Employed people are required to keep accurate records of their business income and expenses.  Simply keeping bank statements is not sufficient.

This is in no way comprehensive advice, but just a starting point. You will need to do the following:

  • Keep bank statements for your business accounts
  • Issue sales invoices to each customer
  • Keep all purchase reciepts for expenses (IE: cleaning products, domain names, ETC).
  • You will also need to keep detailed accounts of incoming and outgoings.
  • In addition to this, you will wish to keep accurate transport logs (milage travelled for business reasons).


Sample Travel / Mileage Logs for Business Usage
Sample Travel / Mileage Logs for Business Usage
Sample Invoice to Client
Sample Invoice to Client
Sample Accounting Books - Cash In and Out
Sample Accounting Books – Cash In and Out