Form EU1 – Ireland Residence Card

How do I Apply for an Ireland Residence Card under EU Law?

To apply for a residence card, in line with Article 10 of Directive 2004/38/EC, you should complete Form EU1.  You can download Form EU1 directly from the INIS website.

Completing Form EU1

Form EU1 - V2014-04At the time of writing (May 2015) Form EU1 is a very simple form.  It is made up of just six (6) pages.  Form EU1 is very clear in the details it asks for.  I’ll go through the form in just a bit.  I’ve also posted a letter of support.  Make sure you edit the letter to your own needs if you attach it to your application.  This post is based upon version “2014-04” of the Form EU1.  Find the current version at the bottom of each page on Form EU1.

Sample Letter of Support?

You can find a sample letter of support for a self employed application right here: Sample EU1 Application Self Employed Letter of Support.

So, I complete Form EU1… Anything Else?

When you complete your Ireland Residence Card application, you should also attach documentary evidence to your application.  The documentary evidence needs to outline the following:

Proof of Work / Self Employment

The types of documents you send to prove employment and self employment will differ for everyone, but in general the following lists are a starting point:

Self Employment

Proof of self employment can come in the following forms. Below is a list of documents you can submit.

  • Form TR1 tax registration confirmation;
  • A copy of business name registration certificates;
  • Agreed Tax Assessment from the Revenue Commissioner for the last financial year (if applicable);
  • Letter of Registration for Self-Assessment (Income Tax) from the Revenue Commissioner;
  • Receipts issued for sales or services in the last six months;
  • Bank statements of the business for the last six months;
  • Copies of your website;
  • Purchase invoices (IE: for services such as web design, stationary, raw materials, etc);
  • Samples from your internal accounts cash in/out books ETC


  • recent letter from employer setting out terms, conditions and hours of employment ;
  • Signed contract of employment;
  • Two recent payslips;
  • Most recent P60  (if applicable);
  • Tax Credit Certificate;

Proof of Residence within Ireland

  • PPS number letter;
  • If you rent your home:
    • Tenancy agreements;
    • Letter from landlord;
    • PRTB registration letter;
  • If you own your home
    • Deeds or Titles to the property;
    • Letter from local authority / council (IE: a doctor) confirming that they have saw you in person;
  • Utility bills in the names of both the applicant and the EU citizen.  Note: Most utility providers won’t issue a bill in joint names.  If your provider is like this, simply put the gas in one name, and the electricity in another.  Alternatively, BordGais were happy to write a letter on letter headed paper.  The letter stated: “This letter serves to confirm that Mr Joseph Bloggs and Mrs Joanne Bloggs have agreed to share liability for the utilities at the property 123 West St, Stamullen, Co. Meath.  Should any further details be required, please do not hesitate to contact us.”;

Proof of ID

  • Passport/National ID Card of the EEA National. Note that the UK does not issue ID cards to it’s nationals. 
  • Passport of the non-EEA national;
  • Two passport-size photos of applicant;
  • Two passport-size photos of EU citizen;

Proof of Relationship

Proof of relationship is simple.  This will usually be just a marriage certificate for a spouse.  For a child, the proof of relationship will be in the form of a birth certificate.  If Form EU1 is being completed for a dependant relative, then you also need to include proof of dependancy.  Dependant relatives include parents, grand-parents and children over 21 years of age.

Whilst it isn’t a legal requirement. If you have children together, show this fact by submitting your children’s birth certificates.  Even Especially if your children are EU national’s themselves.  I hasten to add that most – but not all – British citizen kids are automatically British at birth.  If your children are also EU nationals the case of Chen supports the application.

Form EU1 – Ireland Residence Card Application in Detail

You know what.  Detailed guidance on completing form EU1 would really be wasted.  The Irish government have made applying for an Ireland Residence Card a very clear process.

Copies or Originals?

Form EU1 is very clear – once again – on what original documents need to be submitted.  If you look at Section 4 – Document Checklist – it states the following.

Please provide copies of the documents requested below, except where originals are specified. Original documents submitted will be returned to you by Registered Post. Please do not send original documents except where specified. For further information on the documents which must accompany this application form please refer to the Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service website at

So which documents are specified as being originals?  Easy: It states “Original” such as:

Evidence of identity

  • Original passport of applicant
  • Original passport or National Identity Card of EU citizen

Evidence of relationship of applicant to EU citizen

  • Original Civil Marriage Certificate (For Spouse);
  • Original Partnership Certificate (For Civil Partner);
  • Original Birth Certificate(s);

… OK, so what about employer letters? Copies or originals?  It’s your choice really.  But as the form clearly states copies unless we say original… A copy would do.  (remember, you’ll need the originals for the UK – who will require ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS).

Possible Difficulties?

There have been issues with the non-EEA being issued a PPS number in some Intreo / welfare offices.  If you have any issues when getting a PPSN simply take form TR1 and the EU1 form with you to the intreo office.  The form’s both clearly show that you need the PPS number to submit the form.

The only thing I really need to add is:

Apply on Form EU1 within THREE MONTHS

As a non-EEA nationals have a legal requirement to complete Form EU1 within your initial three months of residence.  Failure to complete (and submit) Form EU1 before three months and a day can result in sanctions.  These sanctions are laid out in Irish legislation.

2 thoughts on “Form EU1 – Ireland Residence Card”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

Your guidance resource to applying the 'Surinder Singh Route' to your case.