Tag Archives: surinder-singh

Internet Service Providers in the UK

So, like in Ireland, Three UK offer an All You Can Eat data package.  They have a number of quite impressive offers.

The current best offer is the One Plan.  You can currently get a 30 day rolling sim only contract for just £18.00 a month.  This includes the following:

  • 2,000 any network, any time minutes
  • 5,000 Three to Three minutes
  • 5,000 Text (SMS) Messages
  • All you can eat data package


I would personally prefer a fixed line – which would give better download speeds (IE: Fibre Broadband from Virgin or BT) but for some people, the waiting time to get internet might just be beneficial to take out a contract which gets you online the *same day*. (No waiting for a telephone line install.  No waiting two weeks for broadband activation.

Much like in Ireland (See: Which Mobile Network Should I use in Ireland) you can use an Android mobile as a WiFi hotspot / router.  There are also cheaper Sim Only 30 day plans (and even cheaper plans if you wish to commit to a lengthy contract).

So: What are download speeds like?  I just did this speed test from my laptop tethered via wifi to my Samsung Galaxy Ace mobile telephone (When I use my S3 to tether it is actually faster due to the improved hardware).

Three UK Broadband Speed Test Internet
Three UK Broadband Speed Test Internet


Other Internet Service Providers:

There are many other ISPs (Internet Service Providers) in the UK.  Obviously you can use pretty much any mobile network data package (but this can get expensive).  Alternatively, you can sign up to an ADSL service such as that offered from The Post Office, Orange (Everything Everywhere), ETC or even get Fibre Optic Broadband from BT/Virgin ETC.

New Home Office “Centre of Life” Guidance

In response to the new Centre of Life regulation introduced on Jan 1st 2014, A user of ‘What Do They Know’ has asked The Home Office for all of their guidance in relation to the new Centre of Life requirements.

You can find the original request here: Centre of Life Guidance for Surinder Singh.

Dear Home Office,

It appears clear that you have issued new Centre of life guidance
for Surinder Singh to case workers.

Can you please provide all policy updates. Home office circulars.
And full copies of guidance in relation to the new regulation 9.3
of eea regs 2006 that was introduced on Jan 1. 2014.


Another user of What Do They Know also submitted a Freedom of Information request which resulted in pretty much the same response.  This request can be found here:  FOI Request for definition of ‘centre of life’ for immigration purposes.

Dear Home Office,

I am making a Freedom Of Information request to ascertain how the
Home Office defines ‘centre of life’ as pertaining to immigration,
and written copies of all policy documents covering this. I am also
requesting copies of any guidance issued to any officials and
officers regarding decision-making regarding this.

I have been unable to find this information, and am looking forward to hearing from you on this matter.


I particularly like the fact that this FOI response actually states that there is NO MINUMUM TIME LIMIT you must reside / work in the EEA to qualify under Surinder Singh!

It is clear that this new ammendment was simply introduced so as to allow the ECO to use a “Legal” reason for refusal.  Ensure that you streghthen any application taking note of all relevant laws / case laws! (Particularly the recent ongoing case of S and O)

Registering for Revenue Online Services (ROS.IE) in Ireland

The Revenue Online Services requires you to complete a three step registration process.  Two of these steps involve them posting a letter to you at your registered taxation address (so remember to update your address if you move home).

Step 1 – Apply for your ROS Access Number

Go to the Revenue.IE website and click on “Register for Online Services

You then click on “Step 1- Apply for your RAN” (RAN = Revenue Access Number)

For Self Employed persons, you are completing Part A of the form.  You are Registering for Income Tax (Tax Type) and the ID No. is your PPS Number.  Once you have completed this, click on “Submit”.

You will then be presented with another form to enter your name, and telephone number.  Before clicking submit.

It is then a matter of waiting a week or two for them to post out your RAN (Revenue Online Services Access Number).

Step 2 – Apply for your Digital Certificate.

As instructed in the letter the Revenue team post you, you then need to go back to the website mentioned above: Register for Online Services.

Click onto the “Apply for Digital Certificate” button.

This will present you with a screen to enter your ROS Access Number (Mailed to you in Step 1).  You will also be required to enter your Tax Registration Number (PPSN) and your correspondance email address.

Before you can move onto step 3, Revenue will post you another letter, so as you can access your Digital Certificate.

Step 3 – Retrieving Digital Certificate

You can follow the instruction on the letter posted to you.  You will then be able to log into ROS.

The UK Changes The Rules on Surinder Singh

On 3 December 2013, the UK government adopted the Immigration (European Economic Area) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2013 (SI No 3032) which amend Regulation 9 of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations. The new rules take effect on 1 January 2014.

From that date, it will now be a new requirement for those using the Surinder Singh route that the “the centre of [the British citizen]’s life has transferred to the EEA State where [the British citizen] resided as a worker or self-employed person.”

You can view more of A. Valcke’s post here: EU Rights Clinic: Surinder Singh Rules Changed.

I think that the post above sums up fantastically what the requirements should mean. Many of the new possible requirements already being completed. Here are some simple tips (and that is obviously all they are) to keep you on the right side…

  • Don’t leave kids behind, and make sure you sort out their education in the host member state
  • Transfer your car over to the new host member state, as well as your driving license.
  • Replace your EHIC with the local EHIC.
  • Don’t keep a rented accomodation in the UK, unless of course its necessary.

It’s very wise to remember the case of Mrs Carpenter Case C-60/00. Her British Spouse (Mr Carpenter) never actually lived in an EU state, but still his simple provision of services to the EU was sufficient to bestow upon Mrs Carpenter a right of residence from the EU treaties.

It is also highlighted by the Home Office in their Freedom of Information response regarding the Effect of Case C-60/00 (Carpenter) on an EEA2 application to myself the following:

The Carpenter case simply highlights the fact that Member States cannot take action against the family members of EU nationals which would breach their rights under Article 8 of the ECHR. While the context of the case related to the exercise of the freedom to provide services, the determining factor in the case was the disproportionate effect of the proposed deportation of Mr Carpenter‟s wife.

Advertising Your Business In Ireland

There are many free, and cheap ways to advertise your business in Ireland.  Some of these methods require a little outlay to begin with. Some require no outlay.

Lets begin with the free methods (assuming you have your website setup).  Begin with listing your website and business on both Google Webmaster tools, as well as Google Plus (that Google+ page plays a very important role in Google Search Engine Result Pages (SERPS).

Next, head on right over to Bing Webmaster Tools and get listed there too – and right after that head onto DMOZ.org (The Open Directory Project), and EW Search.

You can then list your specific products, business and services on the following websites either free of charge or for a low fee:

  • HotFrog.ie
  • GumTree.ie
  • Adverts.ie

Simply create your advert, and then post it.

The next items are pretty obvious: Facebook Pages, Linked In Pages and Twitter accounts create the perfect opportunity to get a high pagerank backlink to your website.

Moving on, you should obviously have your business listed on the main directory enquires pages, such as GoldenPages.ie

The next method of advertising your business would obviously be direct marketing, such as Leaflet Distribution.

Any business can get online for free using our Free Web Hosting solution.  We even offer very cheap, competitive rates for our Cheap Domain Registration services.

For the less techie of folks, I have created a few YouTube videos to show you how to create your website to advertise your Irish Business.

Once you have got your business website created the next obvious step is to Optimise the Website for Search Engines to crawl – SEO, or Search Engine Optimisation.  I offer a number of services to benefit you in this manner.  With fast results.  If you are interested then please get in touch, by either commenting on the Blog, or sending me an email.

Need a Flyer Design, or Business Card Created?  How about Cheap Flyer and Leaflet Printing?  These are just a few of the services we offer.

Applying for a Personal Public Service Number (PPSN)

Put simply, a PPSN (Personal Public Service Number) is just the Irish version of the United Kingdom’s National Insurance Number (NINo). Your PPS Number is a unique identifier for use in any dealings that you may have with public bodies or persons authorised by those bodies to act on their behalf.

Use of the unique identifier eliminates the possibility of confusing one person with another and makes it possible for public bodies to operate more efficiently and effectively with their customers. For this reason we have a variety of these unique identifiers – IE:

  • The UK: National Insurance Number (NINo)
  • USA: Social Security Number (SSN)

To find out more about your PPSN in Ireland then please visit the Irish Welfare – PPSN Webpage.

If you are ready to apply for your PPSN then check out How to apply for a PPSN on Welfare.IE and you can also view Where To Apply for a PPSN.

We registered for our PPSN in the Parnell Street Intreo Office.  You need to arrive pretty early, and leave plenty of time to register for your PPSN – the queues are pretty long, and you can expect to be waiting in excess of two hours.  The best time is obviously to be one of the first ones into the building.

Everywhere in Ireland appears to open at about ten am (10:00).  But the queue starts forming at the Dublin Parnell Street Intreo Office as early as SEVEN AM.  You have to decide on what time you wish to arrive.

At Parnell Street the process put simple is:

Arrive at the door.  There may well be a queue that forms out of the building and around the corner.  This is not anything unusual.

You will need to join this queue to get to the PPSN Enquiries Reception.  You show the guy (or lady) at the desk your passport, and explain that you need the PPSN so as to work / register for self employment.

The guy will give you a PPSN Application Form to complete, and a ticket number.  THERE IS TWO SIDES TO THIS FORM! – MAKE SURE YOU COMPLETE BOTH SIDES, OTHERWISE THE NEXT TICKET WILL BE CALLED AND YOU’LL NEED TO WAIT AGAIN! – Don’t worry, you can expect to wait in the queue for at least an hour – so theres plenty of time to complete the form.

You will notice in the Parnell Street Intreo Office that there are two queues going on:

  1. PPSN Applications
  2. PPSN Enquiries

The PPSN Applications queue appears to be for singular / couple applications, whilst the PPSN Enquiries queue appears to be for groups containing children (whether or not this is true, I am not certain, but after four visits to the PPSN office and observation of the calling, it appears to be the case).

When you get to the desk, you can expect the following:

The guy (or gal) behind the desk, will have a little chat with you – getting friendly and all.  Just ensure you let them know that you need the PPSN to work / register as self employed.

They will then scan all of your documents.  You will need to provide photographic proof of identity (Passport / Driving License ETC) and a right to work / nationality  (Therefore Passport is the best) as well as proof of address.  This proof of address can be a simple letter from your landlord stating: “I (NAME) certify that (Applicants name) lives at my address (Full Address). Name: (NAME) Signed: (Signature) Date: (DATE).”.


Along with the letter, you will require proof that the person providing certification lives at that address – such as a utility bill, PPSN letter of their own ETC dated within the last three months (although, the newer the better).

They will take your photograph.  This photograph will be for your Public Services Card.

They will ask you to write down the answer to two questions on a list (for security purposes).  Remember the answers to what you write.  Should you contact them over the telephone they will use these answers as identity verification.

Once completed, you will be on your way.  You will recieve a letter in the post within about a week, followed by your Personal Public Services card in about three weeks time.

To Register for Tax or Register for Self Employment you will require your PPSN.  You can either call the local welfare office the next day (bear in mind the telephone lines are ALWAY VERY BUSY) or take my prefered approach and actually go into a Welfare Office with Photographic Proof of Identification (Such as passport or Driving License).


Gather all of your documents

When you move to a new country, there are a fair few steps that you might need to take.  Something for sure is that you will need to ensure that you have all of the relevant documents to take with you.

Remember to pack the following documents:

  • Passports for everybody (EEA, Spouse, Children)
  • Marriage Certificates
  • Birth Certificates of children
  • Also do not forget to get your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from your home Member State before leaving.  In the UK you can do this online on the NHS website: [Apply for UK EHIC]
  • Evidence of you relationship before going to the other EEA member state
  • Evidence of your national insurance contributions in the United Kingdom (This will be useful, as after excersising treaty rights in another EEA state you are classed as a worker, and therefore entitled to public funds as such)